Social media marketing is a huge avenue for guerrilla marketers because of the high ROIÂ possibilities. Ogilvy Tunisia recently did a campaign for Axe Body SprayÂ through which guys can be “in a relationship” with literally, hundreds of girls.Â When other users clicked on that status, they were taken to theÂ Axe app, where they too make their friends jealous. The application spread virally through the facebook newsfeed and likes.
Social media campaigns seem to catch on a lot faster than other traditional marketing methods because the information is so easy to share and users are more inclined to share.
Here are some recent social media statistics for May 2011(via Banking 2020):
- 800,000,000 recommendations (aka â€˜stumblesâ€™) are made each month on news discovery service StumbleUpon (Source:Â StumbleUpon)
- 155,000,000 tweets are issued every day, a three-fold increase from one year ago (Source:Â Twitter)
- 92% of B2B marketers are involved in social media marketing, with LinkedIn being cited by 26 percent of survey respondents as the most important channel (Source:Â B2B Magazine)
- 132,500,000 people in the US will log in to Facebook regularly this year; by 2013 that number will increase to 152.1 millionÂ (Source:Â eMarketer)
- 67% of Twitter users said they would be more likely to make a purchase from a follower, while only 51 percent of Facebook users said something similar about their friends (Source:Â AllTwitter)
- 88% of marketers found that social media helps get them increased exposure; 72 percent saw increased traffic and subscriptions as a result of social media (Source:Â Social Media Examiner)
- 80% of marketers said they were planning iPad-based advertising and/or an iPad-based app this year (Source:Â Effie Worldwide)
- 70% of marketers plan to increase spending on social media by at least 10 percent this year (Source:Â Effie Worldwide)
- 6 years of video is uploaded to YouTube every day (Source:Â YouTube)